Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
kmartin57

picSender and Arduino Nano

Postby kmartin57 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm trying to test your picSender program. I have an Arduino Nano, have tried 0.9i and 0.9g from J-Tech. When I select Open it eventually times out, but not before the grbl announcement shows up. Trying to select open again and it says the port is in use.

picSender was downloaded a couple of days ago. (demo version)
Both 0.9i and 0.9g work with Universal Gcode sender.

Since it gets the grbl version statement I'm hoping this is just a timing issue.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: picSender and Arduino Nano

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Is it a real Arduino Nano, or a counterfeit/knockoff? What happens when you select continue in the timeout message?

kmartin57

Postby kmartin57 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:10 pm

It's a knockoff, but I'm looking to replace it and the shield. When you test picSender what controller do you use?

When I click on continue the error dialog disappears. None of the buttons on the screen are active except for Open and Exit. Selecting Open throws an error about the port already in use.

Don't worry too much about this, looking for advice on what controller to move to.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:24 pm

We use a real Arduino UNO R3 and a Gshield with a Screw Shield between them to make our connections like the PWM. The problem with the knockoffs is the serial communication chips they use. The counterfeits are not very reliable anyways as we have tested a few UNO knockoffs here already. If UGS works with that Nano, then you may want to stick with that combination.

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Chinese knockoffs all seem to use a different serial chip than official release Arduino boards. And I think there lies the problem, but not sure. I have not tested a Nano, but I do plan to order one today to investigate.

Thanks,
John

kmartin57

Postby kmartin57 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks, but don't spend too much time on it. Just some info;
UGS works fine until I get into the high speed setups, ie J-Tech .9g. It randomly locks up.
I wrote a Perl script to send Gcode to it. It's slower than UGS with J-Tech, but the same speed with UGS and grbl .9i. Difference is, the Perl script never locks up.

FWIW, I tried to find an official Nano to buy. Hard to come by. I'll be looking into the gShield, I had been hesitating because I couldn't figure out how to get to D11. I did not think about the screw shield

kmartin57

Postby kmartin57 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks guys.

Got an Uno and CNC Shield v3. PicSender works fine. Just ordered a full copy.

FYI, I got DRV8825 on the CNC Shield, adjusted the ref. voltage down to .55 (came in at 1.6v) on each axis. Still warms up the servo's. Any idea how low I can go? No worries, if it depends :)

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Adjust them as low as you can without loosing any steps/position at your max feedrate setting when engraving.

Return to “PicSender”