Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Cbdugger

Engraving a filled font

Postby Cbdugger » Mon May 16, 2016 6:57 am

Hello! Hopefully someone can help me understand this better. I am unable to accomplish a filled letter with Vcarve Pro and my Jtech 2.8W laser. I am sure its something small and just flying over my head lol. If I use quick engrave it allows for outline and fill. However, this is the option to fill the letter by cross hatching, I would like the whole inside of the letter to be removed. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks!

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Engraving a filled font

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 am

Do you want to cut the letter to a depth, or cut all the way through your material? If cutting all the way through, can't you just cut the letter outline instead of using the fill with the outline? If that's not possible with VCP, try using the J-Tech extension for Inkscape. Inkscape will trace the outline of a raster image letter and the trace will be a vector for cutting. Sorry for the lack of knowledge with VCP as I use Kubotek KeyCreator for my Cad/Cam vector laser cutting needs.

https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=2012

Now if you want to cut the letter to a depth, our image to gcode programs can generate the gcode for that to be done without any outline cuts.

Jeff

Cbdugger

Postby Cbdugger » Mon May 16, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks for your response Jeff. I am not looking to cut the letter out of the material. I am looking to just burn the whole inside of the letter instead of just an outline. Basically instead of a hatch or cross hatch filled letter I would just like the whole inside of the letter to be black from burning it.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am

It sounds like you just need to step over the laser's path the width of your laser's focal point and set a feedrate slow enough so it will cut to the depth you require. There will be charring of the wood?, but I just take a soft bristle brush and water to clean it out and dry it with a compressor air blast.

Cbdugger

Postby Cbdugger » Sun May 22, 2016 5:54 pm

That worked, thank you! I'm still pretty new to both CNC and the laser.

Return to “PicSender”