Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
wmgeorge

Finally

Postby wmgeorge » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:03 pm

I finally have my setup to the point I can trust it with a Job. Bypass caps on the Homing switch wiring at the controller, Shielded wire on the Homing switches. Hard limits and Homing but no Soft Limits. I would still like to be able to do the Machine Homing at left front where the Work Homing is normally set and I would like to be able to do away with the Z homing nonsense when using a Laser diode.

My personal opinions and it counts for nothing, is the Arduino board is a hobby grade controller and GRBL has a ways to go before its ready for Prime time. This is from working with commercial grade or pro hobby grade CNC machines.

BTW that screw terminal board suggested on here and for sale on Amazon works great!

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Finally

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Glad to hear you have it all worked out.

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:11 am

Great William.
I have a laser machine set up with Mach3 and a custom screen set, but honestly, I don't think the expense of converting from GRBL to Mach3 is worth it for a laser diode setup, unless you already have most of the parts and Mach3 as I did.

I also have my SO2 machine set up to home to the front left, which is easy to do if you already have full limit switches installed. All that is needed is to change GRBL's $23=0 to $23=3.

Doing away with the Z homing function, and the manual push button switch (aggravating, I'm sure), is more complicated. That will require editing and custom compiling a personal GRBL version, OR, adding a small, off machine, Z stepper motor to actuate a limit switch. If you add the stepper, it can be most any small, 4 wire, surplus stepper motor, like from an old printer.

John

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:09 am

There is a 8c version of LaserMode grbl that has the Z axis homing disabled. It uses Z0-Z255 commands instead of S0-S255. However, there are features that are disabled in PicSender when using it like Pause/Resume.

Information about it and where it can be downloaded is here in Step 11:

http://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-Las ... /?ALLSTEPS

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:51 am

Actually I like PicSender and would hate to lose any features. I did see some discussion online about the next version or so GRBL having a function to disable the Z homing. That would work.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:50 am

I, myself have been programming/running CNC machines for over 35 years and find Homing absolutely useless with stepper motor CNC machines. The positions when the machine is turned off is in the same place as when it's turned back on. The stepper CNC machines in my machine shop have homing capabilities, but I never use it because I found it's a waist of time. Two of our CNC Laser engravers (one Mach3 & one grbl) has no homing or limit switches for that matter. I can turn them on, generate the gcode, insert the material against the stops and start laser engraving. The need for homing with a stepper machine is a misconception.

However, Servo motor CNC machines are different which do lose position when they are turned off. I have a 3' X 2' K2CNC servo CNC router/laser engraver that I need to home every time it's fired up. The only stepper CNC Laser Engraver we have with homing is an EmBlaser, but the only reason I have not disabled it is because I do need at least one machine to test PicSender homing with. ;-D

How much time have you wasted trying to get homing to work? I would recommend just disabling homing in grbl and park the laser head at the X&Y work zero place before turning it off. It will be at the same zero place when you reconnect to the com port with PicSender again.

Sonny has been talking about releasing the new laser version of grbl for over 8 months now, so I would not count on it any time soon.

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... rbl#p55040

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:48 pm

Actually I changed GRBL's $23=0 to $23=3 and it works fine. I could never see the reasoning to Home upper Right when all the software written for the laser use lower Left.
I guess Homing is just something I used on my own machines, the PlasmaCAM, the IM Service Router and now my commercial laser. At least it has a reference point you can work from.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:05 pm

PlasmaCam & IM Service Routers are Servo CNC machines and that is why they have homing. The reason your Commercial (stepper?) machine has homing is because of the propitiatory control software it may be using.

Return to “PicSender”