Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
PhilJohnson

New user. Few questions

Postby PhilJohnson » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:51 pm

OK I finally bought pic sender. There's a few things I'd like to figure out.

1. Every time I open the program I have to select the com port and the baud rate. Is there a way to save my settings?

2. Also the check Box under grbl For allowing the quick setting changes between spindle and laser Doesn't stay checked.

3. If I jog and then use G28 to move my spindle then jog again it does not recognize in the read out of position that I moved back to G28. It Continues counting from where G28 is as if I never move it there.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: New user. Few questions

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:35 pm

! & 2 sounds like you are closing the Com port before you are selecting the Exit button. When the Com port is closed, PicSender is no longer active to save any changes you made, so just select Exit and it will save your changes.

John will have to answer your third question concerning what the expected behavior should be with the DROs.

PhilJohnson

Postby PhilJohnson » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Picengravertoo wrote:! & 2 sounds like you are closing the Com port before you are selecting the Exit button. When the Com port is closed, PicSender is no longer active to save any changes you made, so just select Exit and it will save your changes.

John will have to answer your third question concerning what the expected behavior should be with the DROs.

Awesome! I new there was something. That's exactly what I was doing. In ugs, I always closed the port first to ensure it's released.

Thank you!

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:07 pm

When you select Exit, it will save your changes and release the Com port.

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:40 am

Phil, the issue with G28/G30 is due to my poor program planning skills. I became aware of the issue after I added G28/G30 buttons to PS a while back, but I have simply not devoted time to working on it yet. Actually, you are the only user to even notice and question it, so I have/had it low on my list of bugs/quirks to work on. I will move it up. Thanks for pointing it out, and for your support.
John

PhilJohnson

Postby PhilJohnson » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 am

Picengraver wrote:Phil, the issue with G28/G30 is due to my poor program planning skills. I became aware of the issue after I added G28/G30 buttons to PS a while back, but I have simply not devoted time to working on it yet. Actually, you are the only user to even notice and question it, so I have/had it low on my list of bugs/quirks to work on. I will move it up. Thanks for pointing it out, and for your support.
John

Lol sorry John! I'm an explorer and good at breaking things!

I think once I figure things out I'll be 100% on pic sender and of course love it! But I'm still exploring it now.

So that jog readout should be like my distance from work zero.

Where is my machine position listed?

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Phil, Jeff is the master machinist, me just a wannabe, but I'll try to answer you and let Jeff correct me if needed. :D

"So that jog readout should be like my distance from work zero."
Yes, as a simple answer. PS started as a simple gcode sender for engraving laser images because UGS did not handle large files. As grbl matured I started moving to it from Mach3 for my spindle work, and I have been implementing more and more controller functions as I found them helpful. I dropped DRO readout while sending because it slowed PS down far too much for laser engraving. And grbl on a UNO is not fast enough to report accurate positions anyway with fast changing gcode. I decided to have the DROs only support jogging moves, but I forgot to work in G28/G30 to the function. :oops: I now have this on my list of things to implement as I said earlier.

"Where is my machine position listed?"
Short answer, maybe use grbl ($?) for that if it is needed. You are the only one who has ever asked us about this, but I really don't know myself what help it would really provide to users. Because I personally never had a need for it, I never worried about implementing a special readout for it. As far as I know, all gcode files reference from work zero. Is there something I'm missing? If so, I will look into it for a later update.
Thanks,
John

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Picengraver wrote:Hi Phil, Jeff is the master machinist, me just a wannabe, but I'll try to answer you and let Jeff correct me if needed. :D

Did you just wake up from one of your naps??? ;-D

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Yup. Shows?

PhilJohnson

Postby PhilJohnson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 am

Picengraver wrote:Hi Phil, Jeff is the master machinist, me just a wannabe, but I'll try to answer you and let Jeff correct me if needed. :D

Because I personally never had a need for it, I never worried about implementing a special readout for it. As far as I know, all gcode files reference from work zero. Is there something I'm missing? If so, I will look into it for a later update.
Thanks,
John

It's handy to know where you are overall, not just from work zero. Helps you know how far you can jog before soft limits.

Return to “PicSender”