Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Homing In GRBL

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:25 pm

It's the same hex file. You will have to do some changes to the grbl settings and the info can be found here.

https://discuss.inventables.com/t/where ... ory/299/87

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 am

Headed out to the shop today to mount Homing switches and wire. I am running 9j and I need a TTL signal out to turn the laser on-off, plan on using PWM (just as a on-off signal) unless another suggestion and it looks like it will be Pin 11. Not sure if I can just use pin 13 instead?

Since I will be soldering wires might as well do them all. Not going to use JTech's version for a while.

My goal is Images and also to Vector cut when needed. Am I on the right track?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:51 am

Pin 13 is spindle direction? Not sure what command makes it go hi/low. M4/M5? We never tested with it, so I'm not sure. 9J will have pin 11 go high with a S1000 command to start, then a M3/M5 will turn it on/off.

With PicSender & XLoader it makes it easy to switch between different grbl v firmware & settings if you wish to raster laser engrave photos/images with varied intensity.

The link I posted above with the recommended grbl setting changes, explains how to switch between different grbl versions. Your Chinese laser has a TTL laser driver, so it should except a PWM signal.

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:24 am

I am finishing up a Honey Do job and I will do some testing when I go out, using some gcode for M3/M5 and a voltmeter. Thanks again, you guys have done a great job of programing!

One other random thought. Since I am not using the Z, just thinking I could just J Techs Pic Convert board to generate the PWM signal needed for the future and I am also thinking that I could use Vector cutting gcode and your PicLaser software without going back and forth? I have not really thought it through yet or done any testing on what I already have. For one project (paying) its very important that I can raster and vector all in one operation. I don't mind spending a little money as this project will generate a payback.

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:09 am

Well testing shows the Chinese controller has a reversed TTL input. Its always on when powered with the 12 volt in, and the TTL needs to go negative to turn off. Just like everything else on the machine, A$$ backwards and on purpose. They are so afraid someone will actually use their creation with someone else's software. The plan from Day One was to replace the control system, with a standard grbl controller and software.

Since JTech's controller is not ready yet for a 6 watt LD, I ordered yet another controller this one takes standard TTL 0-5 volt signal.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:12 am

This Driver will handle the amps the 6W LD requires and it excepts TTL/Analog/PWM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5A-analog-linea ... SwiYFXHE-T

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:58 pm

Yes I saw the one from Russia but they are on vacation, got this one instead > http://www.ebay.com/itm/131648818164

wmgeorge

Postby wmgeorge » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:46 am

Ok getting a little frustrated here.... got the Homing/hard limit switches mounted upper right corner of the table and Y and X tested in wired in to the Arduino 9,10 and then 12 for the Z. The Z since I really don't have I mounted a NO push button. And pins are going the ground pin #14 when hit.

Using standard 9j, Pic Sender and GbShield. With the Homing cycle enabled, it flashes the Z axis, and I press the cheater button to tell it that its Home and time to do the rest, nothing. Even if I clear the Fault I can not jog. If I clear out the Homing cycle all is good. It will run a file at the lower left 0,0 and the PWM signal works per DVM.

So tell me, when all the G Code created in Inkscape and others want to use the lower left corner as 0,0 why am I trying to do a Homing to the upper right?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:14 pm

The homing position was your choice. I stated previously it could be set at any corner. John said he sets his at lower left.

I'm not sure what is happening with the Z axis homing. Are you just pushing the switch quickly, or having it held for a few seconds?

I only have one stepper machine with homing switches and they are at upper right. I home and then jog to lower left to set my material's work zeros and this gives me the maximum travel distance in the work area up and right from there.

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:28 pm

With homing, the Z push button switch should have to be pushed TWICE for the Z before X/Y will home.

It does not matter where Home position is, that is the Machine Zero position. You can set Work Zero anywhere you want, regardless of where the Home position is with the G28.1(?) command. Work Zero is what is used to set the zero point of the material.

John

Return to “CNC Controller Discussions”