Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Honk

attempting a puzzle

Postby Honk » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi Jeff
My darling book keeper wants me to try one of those puzzles like you did on post 583. Can you go into the process with a little more detail? I think I can use BobCad to get the tool path. I have drawn up the puzzle and BobCad has a post processor for Plasma and Laser I'll probably need to edit it some. I was wondering about how fast the laser IPM would need to be (ball park)? The laser diode 6W is directional _ how did you get it to raster cut that smooth? Or is that raster cut? Or do I know what I'm trying to say?
My 6W Fire Dragon it temporary out of service, but I have all new components for the top end (light wright)on the way. It's on a diet.
Thanks for the help
Jerry

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: attempting a puzzle

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:09 am

Hi Jerry.

It is a vector file and I ran it at 6 Ipm with two passes and air assist cutting 1/8" Birch Ply. I used that puzzle extension for inkscape and saved it as a DXF. You just need to create a page the size of the engraving and set how many pieces X&Y and the shape. You will just have to play with the settings until it looks like you want it to.

The gcode generator in inkscape would not generate the gcode properly because it used all arc commands. BodCad should be able to generate the gcode properly if you have a Post Processor for S commands. I did it in Kubotek KeyCreator with Z commands and used an encoder for the laser modulation on our Shapeoko.

I recommend using the standard grbl 9J because if there is any G00 commands in the file, the J-Tech grbl does not support them and it will travel from one place to the next at 6 IPM instead of a rapid move.

You can download the grbl 9J hex here: https://github.com/grbl/grbl

It's the Master Branch. Make sure you backup your grbl settings in the PicSender GRBL menu before flashing the new firmware so you can change/reload them again. The new firmware has default settings, so you will need to change them for your machine.

Jeff

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:59 pm

Right click and save as to where the other grbl is on your PC. Then remove the .txt from the end of the file so it just has .hex

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/grbl/ ... 115200.hex

Honk

Postby Honk » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:59 pm

puzzle.jpg
puzzle.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 5642 times

Jeff
I got grbl V0.9J working and I am able to cut puzzle parts. I had to make a few adjustments on the G code but it works good. I have the gain set at 3.75 Amps which I think is to low for this, also I think you said not higher than 4.5A??? I tried it on some 1/8 Mahogany paneling I had laying around but 2 times around at 6 IPM only cut about 1/4 the way through. What do you think about 3 IPM? I am not sure about Abs G90 and Inc G91. Is that the same as Constant Velocity and Exact stop? Should it be set different for Vector and Raster?
Thanks Jerry
PS I'm getting closer.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:26 am

Jerry,

I would not run the 6W LD any more than 4a max, or it will degrade the laser diode's reliability. Only run your gcode files with a G90 (absolute). It runs all gcode moves from your X&Y set work zeros.

If I am not mistaken, grbl 9j uses a S12000 for max PWM instead of S255 . If your using an air assist, too much air flow/pressure will hinder the laser's cutting ability. I never used more than 5PSI, but it will depend on your orifice hole size.

Jeff

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Jeff,
Glad to see you have power back after the hurricane.
John

Jerry,
May not be an ideal solution, but if you can set up a puzzle job so you can laser cut from both sides (flip the work), you might have better results.
Doing it this way will require a jig with locating pins, but should not be too difficult to implement.
Just a thought.
John

Honk

Postby Honk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:46 pm

I bet I can ???
Thanks both of you!!
I have a brother in Jacksonville and he hasn't called me back. Did that thing do bad things there? I'll try again in the morning.
Jerry

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Jerry,

We survived without any major damage. I hope you hear from your brother soon and he is OK.

Jeff

Honk

Postby Honk » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:39 pm

Jeff
He's good Thanks. He said it was north of him and all they got was a lot of rain.
Jerry

Honk

Postby Honk » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm back thinking about my puzzle and had a thought :?) What if I used my CO2 laser to cut the puzzle pieces ? I haven't used it for a long time and I am not sure it still works but it isn't that big of a deal to switch it back to CO2. I just am not to sure I still know how to program it.
What do you think?
Thanks Jerry

Return to “CNC Controller Discussions”