Can Picsender operate on a Windows 32bit system?

Mach3, grbl, ect.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
willow

Can Picsender operate on a Windows 32bit system?

Postby willow » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Just a query really, I have 2 machines both running windows. One is 32 bit (XP) and the other is 64 bit (Win 7). I have Picsender set up on the 64bit machine but would also like to operate it on the 32bit (XP) machine - which also runs my other mill using Mach3.

I wondered if anyone any experience of this and is it - or could it be - successful?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Can Picsender operate on a Windows 32bit system?

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm

PicSender works great with Windows XP.

willow

Postby willow » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:53 am

OK, I have now installed picsender and the last available Java platform for XP onto my XP machine but I am experiencing problems.

Fistly, Picsender appears to lock up after connecting to the arduino and I have to use the Task Manager to kill the Picseder.exe file to stop it and re-boot.
That I don't understand as I have never had to do that on my Win7 machine - even when testing Picsender prior to purchase.

Are there any different requirements for using PS with an XP (32bit) machine compared with the Win7 (64bit) machine? I am missing something, that's for sure if PS supposedly works 'great' with XP. I know XP is old, but it runs my Mach3 mill faultlessly and I would be reticent to change the OS unnecessarily if I can avoid it. On the other hand, both CNC machines are side by side in my workroom and it would make much more sense to use just one computer to control either milling machine - wouldn't it?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 am

PicSender does not use Java, but it does require all the .NET Framework updates. I have a CNC router running Mach3 on a WinXP PC and I also run PicSender on the same PC to control an EmBlaser 1 laser engraver.

willow

Postby willow » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 am

Many thanks for that, don't know about your setup for Mach3 but I did do the optimisation of Mach3 when I set mine up - not installing and/or removing bits and pieces that were not required for Mach3 to keep it slimmed down to the absolute minimum required to run Mach3. Just wondered if anyobne ele had done this before.

I will install all the .NET Framework updates as I don't think that will harm my Mach setup and see how I get on - won't be easy as I have no internet connection on that machine!

Thanks again for the heads up on this....

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:13 am

My Mach3 install is as simple as it can be. I'm using a Lava PCI Dual Parallel Port for my 4axis Servo K2CNC router & it's MPG. You should be able to download the .NET Frameworks to a thumb drive from the Microsoft web site on an internet PC and install them on your WinXP PC.

You may need this MS installer though. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... aspx?id=25

willow

Postby willow » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Just a follow up, have installed all the NET Framework updates now and I have to say, Picsender works beautifully on XP as you said. It's going like a train now, just superb. I couldnt be happier, well done and thanks for all the help, much appreciated...

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:52 pm

willow wrote:Just a follow up, have installed all the NET Framework updates now and I have to say, Picsender works beautifully on XP as you said. It's going like a train now, just superb. I couldnt be happier, well done and thanks for all the help, much appreciated...

:cool)

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Thank you. Kind words are always appreciated.

Return to “CNC Controller Discussions”