Mach3, grbl, ect.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Jerky Motion (Mach3, ESS, PicConvert)

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 am

I never received the xml file to look at any Mach3 settings, so I'm at a dead end on anymore suggestions.

We run R3.43.66 on both of our Mach3 machines without any issues. It's what Calypso Ventures recommends for there screenset that we use.

http://www.calypsoventures.com/download ... eases.html

On my servo CNC router, I can raster laser engrave images at a 220 IPM blended feedrate with a .006 Pixel Resolution. But, it uses an US Digital 10bit MA3 analog shaft encoder driven by a 4th axis servo motor to modulate the dual laser diode's power. It's 5W total and It has Gecko G320 servo drives.

Our other Mach3 machine is 2W and 80IPM is max because of it's burning power. It's the stepper machine I have tested our PicConvert with.

This was done on our stepper machine with the PicConvert modulating the laser's power.

16.jpg
16.jpg (243.82 KiB) Viewed 378 times

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 am

I will get mine zipped up and emailed over. Waiting on one from friends Mach/ESS setup.

Your 2w setup would be the closest I think.

Just got an email from Jay. He offered to send me out another board so I can swap them and see if there is any change. Worst case scenario it will rule out a bad pic-convert.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:50 am

XML has been emailed :)

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Got it. I don't see anything obvious, except you sure have your C axis accel set very high.

I have been doing some PicConvert tests here (without any steppers powered) and with that same image resized to 1.5"X 1.5". Ours is setup with the A axis and since our laser's driver is analog modulated, the PicConvert is setup with analog output instead of PWM.

With a .006 Pixel Resolution and at a 200 IPM set feedrate, it returned to the zero place voltage every time the file ended. It takes 3 min 16 sec to run the file and I ran it 5 times with the same results.

My X,Y & A axis accels were all set at 125. Now, either your PicConvert is faulty, or it's something in your setup causing it to lose position. I guess you will determine this when you get the other PicConvert board from J-Tech.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 pm

I will send you the gcode generated for my small image along with the PEP6 settings screen and you try and run it.

Where are you located up there, I don’t want ya messing with my madness if you have “battening down of hatches” to do. It was breezey here a bit ago from the south, then the east now it’s calm (2:20 pm) it was around 300miles off shore from us.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Our gcode file is the same as yours, except the set feedrate, X & Y max travel distance and the 3rd axis letter.

We are in the Panhandle about 15 miles inland.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:31 pm

That’s what I figured but what about running it with my xml? I’m guessing we are both stuck till I either get my buddies xml or the next Pic-convert gets here. I will keep testing things here on my end. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again, lol.

We are around 15miles inland also, just close enough to enjoy it, just far enough to afford it, lol.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:14 pm

I can't run your xml. Our setups are completely different. I just wanted to see if there was anything obvious in your settings that would cause the issues you are having.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 am

Any resolve yet?

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:13 am

Not yet, I have the second pic-convert but haven’t had time to install. I been sick the last week or so and I’m still laid up. When I’m on my feet again it is my first project.

How did you make out with the storm?

Return to “CNC Controller Discussions”