Mach3, grbl, ect.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Jerky Motion (Mach3, ESS, PicConvert)

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Did you notice the voltage sets to zero when the file starts and runs that Precode?

I'm wondering if your multi-meter is hindering/effecting the PWM output somehow. Your not connected to the Analog signal & Ground on the PicConvert board like I am here.

PicConvert Analog Signal.JPG
PicConvert Analog Signal.JPG (64.02 KiB) Viewed 385 times

Maybe you should contact J-Tech and ask them if this is a proper way to test there board's modulation output voltage.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Picengravertoo wrote:Did you notice the voltage sets to zero when the file starts and runs that Precode?

I have been manually zero-ing with the new buttons every time but I just tried running the code again and yes it is dropping to (0.01v-0.02v) just before it starts jumping all over for the image.

Picengravertoo wrote:I'm wondering if your multi-meter is hindering/effecting the PWM output somehow. Your not connected to the Analog signal & Ground on the PicConvert board like I am here.

PicConvert Analog Signal.JPG

Maybe you should contact J-Tech and ask them if this is a proper way to test there board's modulation output voltage.

I will email him now. If I had a pair of leads with spring hooks I could do that. I could just check the voltage after its done running, its zeroing reliably now so I really don't need the constant readings. the PicConvert is just a pain to get to where I mounted it.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:06 pm

OK, if you get everything working properly, just leave those commands in the Analog/PWM profile's Precode so you don't have to remember using the buttons when you power up the PicConvert.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 pm

I haven’t heard back from Jtech yet. In the meantime I installed Mach3 on a completely different computer. Had a friend send me his perfectly working config for Mach3. He also runs the g540, Ethernet smoothstepper, pic-convert and Jtech laser kit, and uses PEP6 so his setup is identical.

Ran the test and checked for voltage after a run. The control points at the driver (first way I was testing) and the analog signal, like you suggested are not at 0v. I’m at a loss..

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:46 pm

So you got the same results with the PWM at the J-Tech driver as the Analog signal on the PicConvert?

Can you send us your friend's Mach3 xml file to the email address your PEP6 registration came from? I'm curious what settings should work with the setup both of you have.

Thanks.
Jeff

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 pm

No the readings were different but neither were 0v.

I didn’t use his xml, I don’t think that would work as we don’t have the same machines (limits, bed size, etc). We just have the same motion control setup. I just had him send me screenshots of his settings (motor, ESS config, mach3 general config) and I created another profile using that info.

The settings were a bit different from my stock router profile that I have run for years. Maybe I’m wrong and you can tell me so but I assume that since I’m running the machine without any motors, spindles connected and it’s strictly to test the Mach3 - ESS - Pic-convert. Wouldn’t any known working settings do the job for testing purposes as long as it’s mach3,ESS,picconvert?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:46 pm

Ok, I guess I should have asked you to send me your xml file. I can look through it and determine what is relevant.

Your ESS is not common compared to our setups. Does your ESS have a solid 5v signal on the step & dir lines to control the PicConvert properly? It does require 10000 steps per and if the voltage is weak/low on those lines, it could lose position.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 am

I will get both XMls and email them.

I have no idea, lol. I will ask over at Warp9s forum (ESS) about that.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 am

It could be the PC's Ethernet line voltage, not necessarily an ESS issue. I know that could be a problem on some PP PCs, but I don't know anything about using an Ethernet to control a CNC machine, or if that could even be a problem with it. Just a thought.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 am

Warp9 reply:
The ESS can output up to 4 million steps per second, and provide nice 0V/5V pulses, as long as you have a solid 5V power supply feeding the ESS. This shouldn't be the issue.

For your Mach3 setup, once you increased the C axis acceleration, did you try it with Constant Velocity mode turned on and off to see the differences?

I haven’t tried with CV off. He means the CV control section of mach3 general config I hope.

Return to “CNC Controller Discussions”