Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: What wattage diode is best for photo engraving if speed is not an issue

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm

What Min/Max settings are you using? Your not going out of my recommended range, are you? Did you leave the step & direction pulse setting in Motor Tuning at 3? I was getting lines like that if I did not set it at 3. Your setup may work better at a different setting, so try starting out at 1, then try 2 all the way up to 5 and see which works best.

It looks like you are getting much better results than before. It's good to see my xml file changes have helped improve things. :cool)

chris190

Postby chris190 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 pm

Yes I have the Min at 0.0000 and Max at -0.6477. I left pulse setting at 3 on one try...then changed to 5 on second try and on each instance the lines appear. I have yet to try 1,2 and 4 which I will do tonight :)

xml helped a lot... before when I was trying to run it at 1800-2000 mm/min the motion of X axis would slow down slightly for fractions of second in certain areas (where the intensity of the pulse was higher) and I could see the speed drop to around 1300-1400 mm/min ..then would pickup and continue as set speed right away.... so those slight variations in speed are now gone with your xml file even if I set the speed to 2200......but those slight variations in speed almost seemed like raster moves like I had before (before you sent me the first xml file) where it was a clear pattern that ever 4-5 mm it would almost stop for a fraction of sec .......... I hope this makes sense.

Also on my new EleksMaker® LA03-2300 445nm 2300mW TTL/PWM laser that I'm using now the focus seems a bit weird.....I can see the dot when it's focused but there is also some light that smears around it (ex: dot is <1mm and the diameter of the faint light surrounding it would be like 3mm. ...so I'm not sure if it's a poor lens and if thats normal and I moved Z up and down while focusing to find the best sweet spot... I have another glass coated 3 layer lens that I can try as well .....It's probably important to mention that when I focus I pulse the laser at very low power so I can actually see the dot

All in all I'm very happy with how everything works now and once I get rid of the lines I will try a bigger print :D

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:09 pm

All three axis's accels need to be set the same, or the A axis (PicConvert) can be set higher than the X&Y. Since the A axis moves could be a longer distance move than the X&Y axis moves, going from a light shade to dark shade abruptly can cause the hesitation.

There may be some helpful info for you in our Laser Setup Instructions.

https://www.picengrave.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

SMarston

Postby SMarston » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:35 pm

I clicked the above link but got a message that I wasn't authorized to view it.
Strange

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Fixed. Try it again.

chris190

Postby chris190 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi Jeff,

I think I pretty much got it all working now....no lines at all and the contrast looks better than before and image looks more sharp.

I did these images with the following speeds: 1550 mm/m (bottom) - 1650 mm/m (middle) and 1700 mm/m (top) .... when I tried 1750 mm/min I noticed some lines.....and all these were engraved at 45 degree angle on Baltic birch-wood I found on Menards. The step was 0.2mm and left the motors speed at 3000 mm/m and acceleration at 2000 mm/m on my cnc6040. The step and direction pulse in the motor tuning were at 5 and 5.

Here are the links to the images:

https://imgur.com/a/3JAAf

https://imgur.com/a/D3MBp

When you get some time I'd love to hear your input on this :).

Thank you so much for all your help!! :)

Chris

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Chris,

They look much better. Good job! :cool)

Jeff

Return to “Hardware Discussions”