Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Honk

ETHERNET Smooth Stepper

Postby Honk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Just received my ethernet smooth stepper to put the new computer on my laser. I think I have Mach3 all set up for it. I hope???

I have two questions.
1. Can I plug into the smooth stepper at the new computer using the old computers Parallel Port Plug? (it goes to the BOB via Printer cable)
2. Can I use 5 volts from the USB port at the new computer?
Thank you
Jerry Honkanen :crazy) :crazy)

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Re: ETHERNET Smooth Stepper

Postby Picengraver » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:57 am

Jerry,
You can plug the PP cable from the old computer into the OUTPUT from the ESS with no changes to the BOB or present wiring connections. That is what I did when I changed my big laser from using a PP over to the ESS. The ESS can be considered as just a different type of parallel port.

I used a separate 5 volt regulated power supply for my ESS. I will have to review the instructions to see if you can use USB power for the 5 volt supply to the ESS. Personally, I do not recommend doing this anyway as it may compromise the computer's USB power, and possibly you could damage the computer itself if something were to short out at the ESS. If you do use a separate 5v supply, do not use a cheap unregulated wall wart unit. Their output voltage can actually be much higher than 5 volts and could burn out the ESS. Make sure you use only a regulated power supply.

John

Honk

Postby Honk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:58 pm

John
I ran into a small problem trying to plug the PP cable into the Smooth Stepper. They just ain't the same. Where do I get an adapter?
Thanks for the info. I'm almost rewired and I am going to use the power supply that is running the laser 5 volt. Tell me it will be okay to do that???
Jerry

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:30 am

Jerry,
Adapters should be available from the ESS supplier. I don't remember exactly, but I think they have to be ordered separately. I will look and see if I have a spare and get back to you shortly.

"I am going to use the power supply that is running the laser 5 volt. Tell me it will be okay to do that???"
Jerry, sorry but I do not know if that will be OK. Some do it, but I am leery of connecting my laser to any shared power supply since I blew out two diodes doing that a couple of years ago. An expensive lesson for me.
John

Jerry, I found a spare cable I can send you if you have trouble getting one. Please let me know by email if I need to send it. No problem.

Honk

Postby Honk » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks John
Found one on Ebay. I'll get it coming.
Thanks
Jerry

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:49 am

8-)

Honk

Postby Honk » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:52 pm

While it's in and on the Smooth Stepper is great. but now I have a giant mess. I will have to redo all the Mach settings and I don't know how.
Thanks Jerry

Return to “Hardware Discussions”