Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
kooka

Re: Flexmod issues

Postby kooka » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:52 pm

yes tony that is an impressive looking setup. does the volt/amp combo meter you are using require an external shunt? what does the other meter read?

thanks for the link Jeff alot of interesting and informative reading there. I am using a little 3020 chinese router with oem drives and control is via mach3. think I will changing over to g540 setup as I have been very happy with these units on my other machines. cheers

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:24 pm

Hey Dave,

Our first machine we converted to a laser diode engraver is a Chinese 4 axis 3040 and it runs with Mach3 also. It has the encoder attached to the Z axis and we can also laser engrave photos on round materials using the rotary. My Badgering John is why he added the rotary option to PEP. ;-D

Here is another thread that was setup just for our software on that same forum. If you have the time, there is allot of info about our experimentation there also.
http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-236-1

If you have not seen our video of our 3040 engraving a photo, here it is.

Jeff

kooka

Postby kooka » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:57 pm

thanks Jeff I will have a good read of that thread for sure. after considering what you said I think I will go the dac route will get onto ordering the required parts. Its a shame no one puts the dacs together to sell as a complete unit would make it alot easier. I also having a bit of trouble finding the sweet spot when focusing and as I am using the ndb7a75 the divergence will not be as good also have a ndb 7875 so can change it if feel I need to. once again I am very impressed by you guys work and if I can produce some engravings close to as good as yours I will be very happy, cheers Dave

tony_tsi

Postby tony_tsi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 pm

kooka wrote:yes tony that is an impressive looking setup. does the volt/amp combo meter you are using require an external shunt? what does the other meter read?

thanks for the link Jeff alot of interesting and informative reading there. I am using a little 3020 chinese router with oem drives and control is via mach3. think I will changing over to g540 setup as I have been very happy with these units on my other machines. cheers

It has a internal shunt. the other meter is temperature of the diode heatsink; but I may change it to the temperature of the driver heatsink.

tony_tsi

Postby tony_tsi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:04 pm

kooka wrote:thanks Jeff I will have a good read of that thread for sure. after considering what you said I think I will go the dac route will get onto ordering the required parts. Its a shame no one puts the dacs together to sell as a complete unit would make it alot easier. I also having a bit of trouble finding the sweet spot when focusing and as I am using the ndb7a75 the divergence will not be as good also have a ndb 7875 so can change it if feel I need to. once again I am very impressed by you guys work and if I can produce some engravings close to as good as yours I will be very happy, cheers Dave

If you need a chip soldered to a breakout board let me know I can help you out. I work at a university designing and assembling surface mount PCB's. I have a lab at my house also. Eventually I plan to make a dac using a micro controller with a lcd readout so that you could pre save minimum and maximum laser levels for different types of wood, butI haven't used it enough to know if this would be a useful feature.

kooka

Postby kooka » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:17 pm

hi Tony, Thank you very much for the kind offer I think I will take you up on that for sure, I will pm you so we can get it happening .temp meter a nice addition and I like your idea in regards to a microcontroller- sounds good. I personally think it would be very handy to be able to vary the current of ld with a pot setup or something similar so can have full adjustment without accessing and adjusting the flexmod and pwm control when I tried it doesn't seem stable( maybe issues with my setup). cheers

kooka

Postby kooka » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 am

hey Tony I have tried a couple of times to pm you in regards to sorting a dac. for some reason the messages are still in outbox and not in sent box. if you could contact me by email direct it would be great. my email address is dbkelectrical@westnet.com.au. thank you Dave

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 am

Dave,
There is information in this thread for a company that you can get the surface mount digital potentiometer soldered to a 14 pin adapter.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31

tony_tsi

Postby tony_tsi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Kooka, I got your pm. The cost that John posted is very cheap. After shipping I payed more for the ones that I soldered myself than the ones in John's link.

kooka

Postby kooka » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:21 pm

thanks John and Tony I shall order a couple of them. cheers

Return to “Hardware Discussions”