Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: 6 watt laser diode

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:35 pm

We have our focal distance set at 2" with this build, but by our experience, 3" distance has worked out the best for image engraving with the 2-3W LD's. At 2", the 3 element glass lens barely or not at all screws into the module to even focus it. The angle of the beam is larger coming from the LD into the focal point at a closer distance and is more critical to maintain the focal distance on the substrate which is never flat, especially when engraving on wood.

If you plan to raster engrave photos at 216 to 235 IPM, then you need to change your controller software to Mach3 and use analog modulation with a DAC. GRBL is not capable of those high of feedrates when using a raster gcode with a .006" pixel resolution (step over & step ahead) In our testing. It maxes out at around 175IPM. Try it by documenting the time it takes to run a file with a fixed feedrate and calculate it by the perimeter of the gcode's X&Y travel distance.

We have a fan to cool the LD's heat sink and the air assist blowing clean, oil less air out of the orifice which keeps the contaminates from getting on the lens.

You have to keep in mind that we have more experience with grayscale Laser Diode image engraving then anyone else. Between us and John Champlain we have built several laser diode engravers. We developed/invented the varied intensity image engraving process 3 years ago that others are now copying/using.

Back to 3D engraving tests.

hill95

Postby hill95 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:35 pm

Any idea if the 6w will be able to etch glass (without paint)?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Jeremy,

I don't know if the 450nm wavelength will etch glass even at 6W without painting the surface black first. The black paint causes the laser beam's focal point to be more intense at the surface. This causes the glass to fracture the glass below the paint, so the laser beam does not just pass through the clear glass.

Jeff

Honk

Postby Honk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:48 am

Hi Jeff
I'm not sure this is where to ask my questions about my new laser build but correct me if I am in the wrong spot.
I did see the Shapeoko Calculator but I am at a loss as to what to put in the little boxes. To start with this is a picture of the stepper driver setup for the Dip Switches. How do I know where to start? You know I really think I am getting to old for this.
dq540ma.jpg
dq540ma.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 3319 times

I have this set at 3200 on the Mach 3 machine but that is only a guess and it worked but there are a lot of options?????
Also keep in mind I don't know how or what I am doing.
Thanks again Jerry :thinking)

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:35 am

Jerry,

Post all your questions/information concerning your build in your My new 6W Thread you started. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=155

I can't recall if or where you may have posted the information about the stepper motors you are going to use to even answer your question. This is why you need to post all the information and questions in one Thread. ;-D

Thanks.
Jeff

Return to “Hardware Discussions”