Image on leather with emblaser and piclaser

Show us what you have made with our Pic Software.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
cawatson60

Image on leather with emblaser and piclaser

Postby cawatson60 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:06 am

Hi all, my name is caroline and i have just received my emblaser and have been playing around with piclaser. I only work in leather and have found the learning curve quite steep. Alot of the settings suggested just dont seem to work with leather. Anyway, here is an image i engraved today on veg tanned leather. Its only 10cm wide but hope to go bigger tomorrow. I used a feed rate of 4000 and had to have the laser max at only 40. Thanks for all the info on this forum and cheers to darkly labs for the emblaser.
bike-engrave-web.jpg
bike-engrave-web.jpg (259.99 KiB) Viewed 3657 times

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Image on leather with emblaser and piclaser

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:11 am

Hi Caroline,

Leather is a little tricky because it does burn fairly easy. With the EmBlaser there is a feedrate curve because of the CoreXY belt configuration. When you set the feedrate at 4000mm/min, it's actually running slower. What wattage laser diode do you have with your EmBlaser? 3W or 4W?

You may want to consider Dithering the image in the editor and pulsing the laser On?Off. That way there is only two laser power values in the gcode. With only a 40 max setting, you are loosing a large part of your shade range. Pulsing the laser will give you the allusion of shades.

Jeff

cawatson60

Postby cawatson60 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:59 pm

thanks for your reply jeff. My understanding of this process is very limited. I increased the feed rate because of your quote on darkly forum "If your engraving comes out too light, lower your feedrate. If it comes out too dark, increase your feedrate." My first run came out very very dark, so increased the feed rate. Are you saying the higher the feedrate the slower it will run? Also how do i pulse the laser on/off. Also with the laser at max power ?255 again very dark engraving. thanks for your help. PS i have the 4watt

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:29 pm

No, the EmBlaser's grbl has a feedrate curve. What that means, it's not linear with a set feedrate range. If you set it at 4000mm/min, it may actually be only running at 3500mm/min. With a 4W you really need to move fast on Leather, but there is a limit how fast the EmBlaser's grbl can run.

In the image editor, there are 11 different Dithering Algorithms to choose from. Open your image and try Atkinson, then save your image again.
Reopen in PicLaser and set your max at 40? and min at 0. A Dithered image is only 1Bit B&W, so it will pulse the laser ON/OFF with only two laser power values.

Return to “Gallery”