PicEngrave Pro 5, Shapeoko 2 & J-Tech Laser

Show us what you have made with our Pic Software.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
kmartin57

Re: PicEngrave Pro 5, Shapeoko 2 & J-Tech Laser

Postby kmartin57 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:53 pm

The biggest thing I see is the acceleration rates. I had mine much lower. Had been working both rate and acceleration up, but didn't know what was too much. This helps. I have the J-Tech grbl hex, will give a try. Not sure I know what you mean by 'dwell', but I'll learn.

Thanks

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:23 pm

It dwells because in the standard grbl it executes the S command as a spindle speed command and normally it's only at the beginning of the file. It gives a slight delay it time to allow for the spindle to get up to speed before it starts moving and cutting. When the S commands are on every line a gcode, there are slight delays with every move and it slows down the overall feedrate. That is part of your problem. Accels are too. 12000 accel is the max you can set the axis's in grbl. Anything higher, it does not improve performance.

kmartin57

Postby kmartin57 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:21 pm

Jeff,

Thanks, acceleration rates was what I was missing. I have not gone to 12000mm/sec2 yet, but am using 8000mm/sec2, finally got reasonable grey scale. The $1 setting I kinda figure out on my own, but it makes a big difference. Went from 1.5 hrs on test print to 18min, happy :).

Will try the analog/PWM next.

Again, thanks for the help.
Ken

I notice that Universal gcode sender paused about 3 times sending a 110k line file. I'm guessing, due to Java garbage collection. I'm assuming picSender does not have that problem?

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi Ken,

I'M glad you got it working good now. Our PicSender will run very large, fast changing raster gcode files up to 10,000,000 lines long without any problems. It was developed by our software engineer John Champlain out of pure frustration with the open source streamers. Pauses sure can scrap out a laser engraving project.

Thanks.
Jeff

Return to “Gallery”