Mach3, grbl, ect.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Re: Jerky Motion (Mach3, ESS, PicConvert)

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am

It was not a direct hit here. A couple of trees fell, but there was no property damage. Power was down for 4 days, but we kept everything going with a generator.

Hope your feeling better.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm

I got myself into my office and created another image and gcode using parts of the car that seem to cause the pic-convert to get screwy. I wanted to create an apples to apples test for the old and new boards.

I then went to the shop and ran it (in “no motor, pic board only” mode) and sure enough it lost position. I disconnected the pic-convert and installed/wired the new one up and it is running now. So we will see in 20min or so, lol.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Ok, second board also lost position. Voltage after run for both boards was exactly the same 1.03v. I am going to run it again with the new power adapter jay sent.

I am beginning to think that this is all mach3. Only thing I can think of next is to see if my buddie will run my test on his machine. Maybe it’s losing position for him also and he just never notices.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Jeff, send me your mach3 xml. The one from your 2w machine I believe is the closest to my setup.

Just heard back from my buddy he is going to be out of town for 10 days so that idea is going to the back burner for now.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Our WinXP Pro Mach3 Parallel Port 2W laser engraving machine's setup is not close to yours.

Here is a video of it long before adding the PicConvert.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:39 pm

I sent a few help requests out to ppl on another forum that are running the PicConvert (I think) so I am waiting for replies.

The only thing that seems to make any changes to the outcome is motor tuning but like I said last week. There is no way to tell if we are going in the right direction when making changes. None are better then the last, totally random.

I will change the settings to whatever you would like me to try and run it again using same gcode. Below is current settings and result. I have the mach3 set back to match my friends supposedly working XML motor tune.

X&Y are set to V=199.98 A=30
C is set to V=167.1 A=30
Sp / Dp =3 - 3
After test voltage = 0.59v

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 pm

I don't know what else to suggest. John does have a Mach3 ESS setup, but does not have a PicConvert board. He uses a DIY built DAC we designed that is shown in our Laser Setup Instructions which J-Tech used this basic design in there PicConvert.

https://tinyurl.com/yb6xc7gr

I will try to do some more testing tomorrow to see if I missed anything.

6of1

Postby 6of1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:07 am

Picengravertoo wrote:I don't know what else to suggest. John does have a Mach3 ESS setup, but does not have a PicConvert board. He uses a DIY built DAC we designed that is shown in our Laser Setup Instructions which J-Tech used this basic design in there PicConvert.

https://tinyurl.com/yb6xc7gr

I am sure you have told me already but you have multiple machines setup and I have them all jumbled in my head. I think I confused johns machine with your 2w. What is the setup on the machine you use the PicConvert on?

Picengravertoo wrote:I will try to do some more testing tomorrow to see if I missed anything.

Sounds good!

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:15 am

The machine I use the PicConvert with is in the video I posted above and that machine is shown in our Laser Setup Instructions PDF too. It has a WinXP Pro parallel port PC and it runs Mach3 R3.043.066. It's electronics including the stepper drivers are the type components that originally came with it. The laser driver is a Flexmod P3 and the laser diode is a 2W 445nm M140.

Picengravertoo
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengravertoo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:32 pm

I sent you a gcode file to test burning with your Laser. It will engrave 3.5" wide by 5" tall. Here are the PEP6 settings I used.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (130.54 KiB) Viewed 6176 times

I also included the image I used to create the file that was dithered with the Atkinson Algorithm in the PEP6 editor.

Set your X&Y accels to 60 and the C axis at 120. I dithered the image B&W, so it may reset the PicConvert board every time the C axis goes to C-.0255 (black) back to C0.0000 (white) if it loses position during the run. This may get you up and running burning images until you figure out what the issues are your having with your setup.

I can't guarantee the movements will not be jerky, but at least you can move on to resolving that problem by experimenting with the axis accel settings. Since the laser will only be burning black dots (TTL), it may not affect the outcome (ringing) as much as laser engraving grayscale does.

Return to “CNC Controller Discussions”