Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
skieva

Setting Offsets

Postby skieva » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 pm

I would like to use the Offset functions.
If I have $H set to front/left corner and want G55 to be 3 inches forward and 3 inches right, what is the proper syntax?

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Re: Setting Offsets

Postby Picengraver » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Setting $H is setting the machine's reference (home) position. Setting up X0/Y0 in a work coordinate system is not the same thing. Just want you not to confuse the two settings/systems.

I assume that when you home your machine, you are in G54 work system, and you then have your X0/Y0 work position set to your machine's home position. So, after you have homed your machine in the G54 coordinate system, just change to G55 and jog X+3" and Y+3", and you will move +3 inches right and +3 inches back (towards machine rear). Now just set your X and Y to zero at this point, and your g55 offset will then be at a new work zero position.
John

skieva

Postby skieva » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 pm

I was thinking about using G55 to set up for a project that will get used many times.
I understand that $H is home.
So, if I want to use G55, when the box popping up wanting to know where to move to my work zero I would type in +3 for each axes.

Currently, I am using G30 to do this. Is there any advantage to using G55 instead of G30?

Thanks
Skip....

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:49 am

"So, if I want to use G55, when the box popping up wanting to know where to move to my work zero I would type in +3 for each axes.
Currently, I am using G30 to do this. Is there any advantage to using G55 instead of G30?"

G30 will move your axes to the position predermined by G30.1, but you will have to reset your axes to zero each time to get the G30 position to be at a new work zero.

If you preset a position in G55 to be at work zero, then all you would need to do is just change from G54 to G55 to have a different work zero position.

Using G55 lets you use the same gcode file at a different a work zero position with no other changes needed, and no requirement to remember to rezero your axes.

Either G30 or G55 can be used to do what you are asking about, if I understand correctly.

Return to “CNC Controller Discussions”