Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
davet354tfd

Carve Times

Postby davet354tfd » Sun May 03, 2020 2:00 pm

I am relatively new with Picsender. Less than a year.
Been using it for several carves.

Today I got some weird completion times and I don't understand why.

I use V-Carve to create the carve and then save the GRBL file.

In V-Carve when I look at the estimated carve time it said 53 minutes.
I had Picsender send the file to my X-Carve and after a few minutes the estimated carve time in Picsender was 1:51:08.

Why am I getting such a difference in carve times between the 2 programs?

I am using the stock settings for Picsender. Not making any changes to it after it comes up and is ready to go.

Is there any other information I need to provide to help get this question answered?
If I should be going to V-Carve with this please let me know. Just figured that I would start here first.

Bob
:?)

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Re: Carve Times

Postby Picengraver » Sun May 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Bob,
Carve time estimates are based upon the number of lines of gcode already carved, the time required to carve them, and the total gcode lines in a file. This is why the estimated time is constantly updating. This calculation is more accurate for files with short-move lines, such as found in laser raster engraving, and less accurate for gcode files with random length moves, such as found in spindle engraving (VCarve) gcode files. Without dry running a gcode file and then calculating run time, the estimated completion time can not be improved. And doing this would greatly increase, maybe even double, the time required to actually run a file.
John Champlain

EDIT: VCarve also has an estimated run time function. It, too, can be inaccurate, which is why VCarve includes a correction factor for its calculations.

davet354tfd

Postby davet354tfd » Mon May 04, 2020 6:49 am

Thanks for the feed back. I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.
If you are trying to price out your product and use carve time as a factor, which many people do, when this happens and it doubles or triples your time on the machine, then you product is being way under priced.
Besides running a "fake" simulation carve, is there any way to account for this issue when pricing?

Bob

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 am

Bob, the VCarve estimated time feature may be your best bet at what you are wanting. It has a correction factor you can use to improve its prediction accuracy, but in all honesty, it may still not be close enough for your needs.

Return to “PicSender”