My new 6W

Show us the machines your using with our Pic Software.
Forum rules
Be Kind to other's.
No Cussing or Swearing.
Don't post anything Illegal or Obscene.
Image attachment size limit is 500 KiB.
Honk

Re: My new 6W

Postby Honk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:07 pm

print scr.jpg
print scr.jpg (262.52 KiB) Viewed 19283 times
Hi John
I have 3, 0.1 uf disc caps but I am not sure where I should put them. There are about 34502 ways to put this circuit together on the internet. If I remove the resistors I will really be at a loss. I ran a program again and this is a screen shot after it stopped, the only way to get past this is Ctrl, Alt, Delete. I have something else wrong I can't see anything on top right.
No snow today but a lot of smoke ( I mean outside) :roll:
Jerry ps Link to 34502 limit switchec below:
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino ... gOSJ_0M%3A

Honk

Postby Honk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:11 pm

I think I know what it is for sure, maybe. I pulled the ground and three wires from the limit switches at the terminals by the Arduino and it doesn't miss a beat. It's been running for a couple of hours and I'll let it go a few more.
Thanks Jerry

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Jerry,
Electrical noise may be locking up GRBL too fast for PS to react with an error message - don't know.

This is how I think your limit switches should be wired (I only show Z - copy for X and Y). You may have to change the GRBL setting $5=0 to $5=1 to use NC switches this way. Try one set of switches, and then do the others if it works OK for you.
John

limitsw.jpg
limitsw.jpg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 19269 times

Honk

Postby Honk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks John
Is the Ground on pin 14 a different ground than the one on the other side of the Arduino? also I'll need different Switches, mine are only NO. Jiffs' way is looking better and better, NO LIMITS. I'll need to get better at not crashing this thing.
Thanks Jerry
PS I'm running another program and it hasn't stopped in 4 hours.
PSS I'm thinking about running the smoke out through the saw dust vacuum ducts. As long as I don't use them at the same time it should be okay Don't you think?.

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:41 pm

All are the same ground.

Try with the NO switches first, just replace the resistors with capacitors and change the capacitor commons from 5v to ground.

Smoke plans should be OK, but be sure vacuum static is not causing interference problems. Use a vacuum home grounding wire?

Honk

Postby Honk » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:56 pm

I tried, I got it to work if I pushed the limit button by hand but when the machine pushed the button it would not work, it bounced three times before it would stop. After a restart it would not work without restarting the whole program. Than I decided to Run a G code and now I know where the upper right corner is and what it says about the limit switches. I pulled the limit wires off of the Arduino and it will work without limits. I tried an old G code file that worked good before the redo and now I see I need to re-adjust all the settings. It is getting closer but I'm giving up on the limits.
Thanks Jerry :roll:

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:13 am

Jerry,
Are you using push button switches,
push switch.jpg
push switch.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 19230 times

or miniature lever action switches?
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 19230 times

Push button switches may have too much contact bounce without using active contact debounce circuitry similar to this for each limit switch input:
debounce.jpg
debounce.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 19230 times

John

Honk

Postby Honk » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:36 am

Hi John
I didn't know about that debounce thing, and I am using push button switches. Will those switches cause noise? It did fault after I changed to those 0.1uf caps. I also think, I should see if I am going to get this tuned up before I do the limits switches. It is definitely bad and I am not sure what I will need to do to fix it. It is a lot different.
Thanks Jerry

Picengraver
Full Access Moderator

Postby Picengraver » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:36 am

Limits and homing switches cause a lot of grief for many Arduino/GRBL users. Yet for me, they work well. I added full home/limit switches to my Shapeoko 2 so I could test PicSender features.

I can not claim that your switches are wrong type to use, but I believe they do not have the solid-make, snap action contacts that miniature lever switches have, hence MAY be more noisy.

L. switches are of secondary importance to your getting the rest of your new machine up to speed, so you can easily work without them for now. Actually, I believe that Jeff doesn't use them and has no problems setting up his machines.
Good luck,
John

Honk

Postby Honk » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:50 pm

horses2.jpg
horses2.jpg (61.2 KiB) Viewed 19230 times

Jeff ( Funky little edge )
I am doing this in horizontal because it is a large pain changing the laser direction and most of what I do is 3D which requires horizontal.
I have tried a bunch of extend edge settings but it will not change. I have tried 5, 20, 40 and none but I am at a loss to what is causing this. I tried the IPM for extend edge around 1/2 of the main steed ( give or take ). I did clean it up by adding a 1/2 inch white edge with Paint Shop Pro. I'm starting to get this to make things but I still have a way to go.
Jerry PS I am going to skip setting up the limits, if I learn to learn to put the dot in For the decimal point and my crash problem will go away.

Return to “Show us your Machines”